I started out INN346 with no preconceived ideas about social media and my place in the ether ecosystem. After precariously tinkering with a creative industries subject I decided to persevere with the IT subject, simply because the lecturer Jason Watson and the students seemed to have a better grasp of “Web 2.0” and new social media and were more enthusiastic about the whole life journey ( of which Uni is a significant part). The fact that 2 of the CI class had heard of Second Life, and Facebook was about their extent of social media involvement definitely influenced my decision.
But about the Juice. Jason mentioned it in his first lecture, and I love the term. A few years ago I egotistically Googled myself “Pete Wildermuth” to find a customs officer and a student in the states. Fail to the Pete Wildermuth brand. Today after I had established my own url www.petewildermuth.com and blogged a bit I had another look.
Juice, Google Juice I have! I am not the Numero Uno Peter Wildermuth as yet, but I am on the charts – WOO HOO!
“Life’s Good” my Blog of 2 weeks ago is 2nd on the list, my Twitter account established approximately 6 months ago is 4th on the list, my linkedin profile 5th and Wiki account personal profile 6th. Then the other imposters commence Zooming, Plaxing and Facebooking where Pete Wildermuth, Brisbane, Australia has yet to influence and cross pollinate.
How am I taking this? Quite well actually, as I never even expected to be on the home page of Google Search anyway.
What’s my strategy to improve my Web 2.0 image/sphere of influence/ranking/online profile ?
- Establish my blog with some relevant, sticky, interesting content
- Continue to Tweet, primarily on subjects with work relevance (Web Developer) and once I am happy with my blog promote through this avenue
- Continue to use Facebook, primarily on social subjects and cross pollinate with Twitter and Life’s Good
- Establish a sphere of contacts and associates on linkedin and link to Twitter, Facebook and Life’s Good
- Investigate Plaxo, zoominfor, meetup and the other listed Peter Wildermuth’s to see what they are doing to get Juice
- Lock in openId and Facebook usernames for petewildermuth
So that will start the journey, 13 weeks down the track I will revisit, hopefully with an increased favourable online presence. Category Wine, Web 2.0, Surf and Thoroughbred Racing, because that’s what I enjoy!
If my readers agree that Life’s Good, then we are half way there!